Monday, May 24, 2010

Catching up on bee blocks!

I've spent the past couple of weekends (short ones, as I've worked part of nearly every weekend for over a month--this makes life rather interesting) working to catch up on my bees. My free time lately seems to have dwindled to nil, and I feel bad that I've become one of those people, who is late by weeks for bee due dates. Ach! (Though apparently this happens to most of us at one time or another, so I should just relax. Right? Right.)

So, here's my catching up post.

For The Beehive, May is Julie's month, and she'd asked for log cabin-y blocks with plenty of white space and no wonk. She sent out gorgeous Kaffe prints, stripes and shot cottons to each of us, and here's what she got from me...

This is the only full-size block I made, coming in at 13" unfinished. I tried to limit the color palette of each block so that it would sing rather than clash. I'm rather fond of this one. :)



As I was worried about running out of the white solid, I followed Julie's suggestion to make a couple of "junior' blocks, which she could then use white to sash out to the full 13" once she got them back. I love this print, the green shot cotton really plays well with it.


And perhaps my favorite of the three. I wish I knew what this pumpkin-y orange was, I'd buy it in bulk. I'm not normally an orange girl, but this was just amazing. Thanks, Julie!



And for Ellen's month of the Coast to Coast Block Party bee...

She sent us some white solid along with charms and layer cake pieces to make "inside out" blocks in a style and size of our choice.

I made a little 8" Arkansas Star block, loving the secondary pattern of a little 4 patch in the middle.

And then, worrying that it wouldn't be quite what Ellen wanted--really, she gave us a lot of free reign, but she's swearing she loves them both, so I'm relieved!--I made a second block with a bit of wonk, squares in squares.

Lots of fun, loved the fabrics she sent, and had a great time with them! Thanks Ellen!


And lastly, I finally got past my quilter's block (heh) and made my block for Tracy--from April! I'd had just the hardest time wrapping my head around this one. Tracy, from my CtC Block Party Bee, had asked for blocks based on this artwork. My result, after much angst, was this:


Just a little dude, relaxing in some sunshine. Hope Tracy likes it ok. :)

1 comment:

Jenny said...

i love log cabins too...i like the idea of adding so much white to the logs...ummm, add another to my list!