Thursday, July 23, 2009

Frustrated!

So, the one week turnaround on sewing machine maintenance? Is now going to be a minimum of three weeks. So instead of getting caught up on my 9-patch block-a-day quilt-along, and perhaps finishing a flimsy this weekend, I will be handpiecing, and cutting stash. Because it will be NEXT Thursday at the earliest before I get my machine.

Seriously? Any longer and I'll be looking to purchase a new machine, and keep the old Singer for backup. I'm going through horrible withdrawal. Also, yes, I have looked into sewing machine rental, and there isn't anyplace nearby that does rentals. The good news is that I found out that one of the quilt shops that was near where I work, and had been flooded out in the Nor'Easter of 2007, re-opened about 6 months ago in a new location, under a new name. How cool! Now I actually can do a bit of fabric-shopping in person without having to drive through 2 counties to get there!

Which, of course, is neither here nor there if I have no machine. *headdesk*

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I feel your pain!!! I'm without my machine for the third time this year. Seems like it takes forever to get fixed. I miss it! Just found your blog but now can't remember how I got here :)

Becky said...

I cried when I was without mine for a week. My daddy, thank God, was able to fix it for me. Yes, I am 32 years old, and went runny home to daddy when my machine broke. I couldn't live without it for even a week and the only machine repair guy around here has a four week minimum turn-around. I hear ya! And I almost did buy a new one...just couldn't figure out what I wanted (needed most).

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that, lady! At least my knitting needles and crochet hooks can't break... Although I think work is giving me a nasty case of hurt wrists, so I guess my "machine" can break too.

Oh and referencing seeing the shirt and cooking up a quilt, it isn't just quilters that do it... i've done that too.


Oh and PS-- I bought a drop spindle and some wool batt on my Savannah trip for my birthday, and I am learning to SPIN!!!! SQEEEEE!!!!! It's so exciting to make lumpy yarn! Whoo-hoo!

PPS-- Buy a new machine and have backup. More tools is not worse. Ask any man. Get one that does a few different things than your Singer. *nods sagely*