Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Stash, 3/20/11



You know how I've been muttering over the last few stash reports that I had something big that was going to be done with my stash? Beyond organizing? Well, yesterday was payoff!



No, no. That's not incoming. That's OUT. Approximately 150 yards from my "old" stash, all packaged and now officially delivered to the members of the CT Piecemakers quilt guild, which is the largest quilt guild in my area, at over 200 members. They have subcommittees that make quilts for a variety of charities, including Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, and a local one, Paul Newman's Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. All are charities dear to my heart, for various reasons. But that's another blog post.

The guild used to meet at the library where I work, which is how I first became familiar with them. However, their large and growing group of members quickly outgrew the library's meeting facilities and moved on to larger venues for their meetings. But I knew they still met in town, so when the urge to do some spring cleaning came, I contacted their board.

I've been quilting for about 12 years, and while you've seen my newer, more modern stash in recent posts, there's a whole lot that has been packed in tubs in our spare room, fabric that in many cases has been with me through three moves, and not getting much love at all.

Do you see where this is going?

Yesterday afternoon, one of the Piecemakers was nice enough to stop by the library (I was working) and take all five boxes to be distributed among guild members and subcommittees for various purposes, including charity initiatives. It just felt like the right thing to do.

The numbers this week look pretty good, too! I'm still in the midst of the sewing room overhaul, and as a result, there hasn't been much sewing going on. Um, make that nearly none this last week. I'm hoping that a trip to Ikea tomorrow night and the subsequent final shuffle in the sewing room this week should clear it so that I walk into the room and can just sit down and sew, instead of walking in and feeling too overwhelmed to know where to begin!

So the numbers...

Used this Week: 150 yards (Not sewn, but out of the stash and on its way to being sewn!)
Used year to Date: 158.5 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 50.25 yards
Net Used for 2011: 108.25yards

Now I just need to remind myself not to try and fill the space in my house left by the donation!

8 comments:

Amy said...

very nice of you. sometimes we just have to get rid of it.I hear ya on filling the void,Amy

Mary-Kay said...

Wow! 150 yards given away. Your tastes must of had a really drastic change over the years. It's funny that what you liked then is definitely not what you like now. I have a few fabrics that I bought years ago and now when I look at them, I wonder what I was thinking. I'm going to try and use bits and pieces of them in future quilts, maybe in some binding too.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You have made many organizations extremely happy. How wonderful of you to donate all of hat fabric!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Very generous! and great to get some space cleared out. Good luck on the reorganization!

Kerry's Quilting said...

What a great giveaway and a great way to reduce your stash, all in the name of some very good organizations. Way to go!

Amy said...

Good for you! That was a wonderful way to use up that fabric.

Megan said...

I hope you enjoy your newfound space! Whenever I clear out a box, I feel all Dalai Lama and zen-like. I can't imagine how great it must feel to get rid of FIVE boxes.

funtalkermitts said...

Five Boxes - you done good! So happy for those organizations who do such wonderful work for others and you just helped them with more fabrics. Way to go!
Just finished latest Sara Donati "Wilderness series" if you haven't read it yet - you might really enjoy it.
Our Library "Friends" just received donations which we are spending on Tickle Trunks - yahooo
Have a great day - the sun is shining today cold but wonderfully bright.