Saturday, March 5, 2011

Southport Quilt Show, part 2

Back, as promised, with more photos from the Southport Quilt Show, Fabrics and Fabrications. You can find part one over here.

Among the things to catch my eye at the show yesterday were a few patterns you may be familiar with. The first?


Recognize it? It's Denyse Schmidt's Cogs Wheel pattern, done crib-sized for the quilt-maker's grandson.

I really love the quilting on this--the echoes of the cogs give it a more modern feel. I really love the choice of the blue background--it made the colors pop.

Over in the chapel, there were more quilts displayed. It was crammed with people, and really had to get a good photo, but from the door, I could see this cute little crib quilt...


Another Denyse Schmidt pattern, this time it was Single Girl done in pretty scraps on white. I cannot get over how striking this pattern is--I need to get off my butt and get cracking on my own version of this! If you'd like to do the same, there's a support group going on over on flickr, check it out here. You'll have to supply your own copy of the pattern (copyrights being what they are), but the support group leaders (Katy, Nova and Megan) are all giving great tips and tricks on everything from cutting templates to sewing curves. A huge help!

There were a lot of antique quilts which show that current trends (paper piecing, log cabins) have some great historical basis. Like this hand-sewn and hand-quilted paper pieced scrap quilt from 1900, draped over the piano just inside the door. You can see more of that stained-glass glow in this photo, too.



And of course there were hexagons, like this Grandmother's Flower Garden.



I love the way the blue and white tie together all of the scrappy hexies. This quilt had been acquired sometime in the early 80s in Appalachia--original date of completion unknown. For the amount of use it received (20 years on a child's bed), it held up beautifully.


And the log cabins!



This one caught my eye--I think it has a great modern feel, for all that it is at least 50 years old.

And then there was this one:


It's being used as a table topper, and was a yard sale find--it was going to be thrown out at the end of the day! Sacrilege! Each of those tiny logs finishes at barely a half inch. Unreal.

And finally, in the chapel, there was a great display up in front of the altar. I had to wait for quite some time to get a shot with no people in it!




I love the two barn raising layouts displayed like this--it's almost like the top one is being reflected in a pond. Very cool, and so lovely. They're both pieced using lots of silks and velvets, so the luster of the fabric was really rich in the stained glass light.

Altogether an extremely inspiring show, and I hope to be able to attend again next year. Now, to put some of that inspiration to work!




1 comment:

Elisa Black said...

I, too, attended the quilt show (I learned about it in your first post--thank you!) and it was very inspiring!! I took lots of photos, too-- for ideas and such. Thanks for the posts!